LA Weight Loss Centers began as a weight loss center in 1989. These centers offer personal advice in the form of meal and sports planning. Along with your weight loss plans, there are always LA Bar and LA TakeOff Juice. In 2006, there were more than 800 weight loss centers throughout the country. LA Weight Loss Centers help thousands of people lose weight quickly, although many can not maintain it.
Designed to appeal to people who are interested in Hollywood glamor, flashy ads, and quick, easy weight-loss promises, LA Weight Loss Centers are central plans that offer personalized plans and advice.
Diet At LA Weight Loss Centers
The diet consists of supermarket foods, as well as exclusive brands of nutritional supplement companies, bars, juices and snacks. Menu plans, tips, recipes, monthly newsletters and the support of weekly scales and individual meetings with advisors are part of the program.
There are no points or calories to count. By contrast, LA Weight Loss Centers is very useful in a long-term weight control plan that focuses on portion control and lifetime weight control. Clients fill in detailed questionnaires on everything from eating habits to their emotional attachment to food. Counselors interview clients and prescribe plans that are organized in portions, not calories.
Diets are encouraged to maintain food diaries and visit weighing centers. They are also supported by counselors who are not dietitians, but who are usually former clients trained by a corporate dietitian, said Jennifer Boyer, RD, MS, director of program development at LA Weight Loss Centers. The counselor has access to a registered dietitian if necessary.
The amount you will spend in this program depends on the choice of food, supplements and installation / registration costs that vary according to each franchise center. Most charge a weekly rate of $5 to $8. This weekly rate, along with installation fees and supplement costs, can increase rapidly and is very expensive.
What can you eat
Dieters are encouraged to choose healthy foods, but are allowed to eat most foods as long as the serving size is controlled. Sodium is limited to 2,100 milligrams per day, similar to the 2005 Dietary Guidelines. Sugar and sugary foods are excluded until the maintenance stage when they are added gradually to the plan. Caffeine is allowed and also an alcoholic beverage three times a week.
LA Weight Loss Centers plan in line with the national recommendations of around 50% -55% of carbohydrates, 25% -30% of proteins and 20% -25% of fats. The emphasis is on moderation and portion control.
The following is an example of a meal plan for a 1,500-calorie diet:
- Breakfast: 3/4 cup of cornflakes, 8 oz. Of skim milk and 3/4 cup of blueberries
- Lunch: 4 ounces of tuna in water, 1 tablespoon of soft mayonnaise, 1 slice of wholemeal bread, 1 1/4 cup of watermelon
- Refreshment: Lemon LA Lite (company product), 1 small banana and 8 ounces of light yogurt
- Dinner: 4 ounces of shrimp, 1 cup of green beans and 1 tablespoon of low-fat margarine
- Snack: LA Lite chocolate candy (company’s product) and cottage cheese 1/2 cup
Read more: Diet Program To Lose Weight
There is no prohibited food. The menu package is based on the level of calories you establish with a portion of specially recommended food. “Our plan is very flexible: it allows customers to go out to eat, manage social events and prepare their own food as long as they adhere to the menu plan we recommend and a balanced approach,” Boyer said. Vitamins, minerals and herbs are also available at the center to complete the diet plan.
How does it work
The menu packages of the LA Weight Loss Centers range from the lowest of 1,200 calories to 2,400 calories and are divided into three phases.
The first phase is to lose weight. Clients receive a calorie level based on the information in the questionnaire and their individual needs. During this phase, they meet with counselors three times a week to receive orientation, support, education, training and monitoring of weight and food options. “The counselor advises clients on three topics: menus and food options, movements and how to help them be more active and mentalized,” explained Boyer.
Phase two is the six-week stabilization period that customers advance after they have reached their weight loss goals. Calories increase slowly during phase two according to the client’s progress as recorded during the counselor’s visit twice a week.
The last phase is maintenance. Clients are advised to register with counselors once a week during maintenance and remain in the program for at least one year to help prevent lost weight from returning.
Counseling only occurs in the center. There is no consultation by email or telephone, or group meetings, online communities or chat rooms. Some centers have walking clubs and sometimes offer group programs. “Most of our clients are not physically active, so our goal is to find them where they are and build them to become more active,” Boyer said.
LA Weight Loss Centers Recipes
1. Asparagus Soup
A fresh and easy asparagus soup, full of flavor.
- Servings: 4
- Serving Size: ¼ of recipe
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 dash garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) vegetable broth, low-sodium
- 1 pound (450 g) fresh asparagus, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 4 tsp (20 mL) margarine
- 1 dash white pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) skim milk
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and add the onion. Cook over medium heat until onion softens.
- Stir in flour. Add vegetable broth, a little at a time, stirring until smooth.
- Add asparagus, garlic powder and white pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the milk. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Puree in a blender. Serve hot.
2. Chicken Shawarma
This tangy chicken recipe will make everyone in the family happy—not to mention healthy.
- Servings: 4
- Serving Size: 1 serving = ¼ of recipe
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 16 (3-inch) strips
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- non-fat cooking spray
- 4 (6-inch) whole wheat pitas
- 1 cup romaine lettuce, chopped
- 8 (¼ inch) tomato slices
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl. Add chicken and toss well to coat. Let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Combine yogurt with the next 4 ingredients, stirring with a whisk.
- Thread 2 chicken strips onto each of 8 (12-inch) skewers.
- Place kebabs on a grill rack coated with cooking spray and grill for 4 minutes on each side or until done.
- Then, place pitas on grill rack and grill 1 minute on each side or until lightly toasted.
- Place 1 pita on each of 4 plates.
- Top each serving with ¼ cup lettuce and 2 tomato slices. Top with 4 chicken pieces each and drizzle with 2 tbsp sauce each.
“The Plan Works Very Well, But The Selling of Extra Products, No Good. The diet plan itself causes an average weight loss of 2 to 3 pounds per week steadily without plateau because they have plans that include those that break the plateau. The centers use sales tactics to trick people into buying snacks and supplements that are not really relevant to weight loss. It’s a diet plan that works, not expensive bars and vitamins.” Work at LA Weightloss full time (More than 3 years)
“The LA Weight Loss Diet Plan Works Amazingly!! My cousin Mattie only paid $20. on Amazon.com for the CD with every plan and phase loaded on it, and bought Chocolate Luna bars at the supermarket instead of their overpriced “LA Lites”. I paid much more for my CD, but still worth it! I made my own juice using the recipe given on the CD, instead of their overpriced juice.
If you just do it yourself, you can lose all the weight you want for less than $20. and your own groceries! She bought it on Amazon, but then found it even cheaper on ebay… either way, when you do it yourself it works just as well as going to the center but way way cheaper! I know because I have done it both ways.” Connie of Fairfield, NJ
You can buy LA Weight Loss products on their website today. The company also sells cookbooks and portion control tools.